Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Peace on Earth Wreath

This next wreath is my new favorite! It's very different from your typical Christmas wreath. Technically though it can be a winter wreath. I started off with this Styrofoam wreath because it was all there was at Michaels when I went shopping. These tiny, thin wreaths are more expensive than straw wreaths even though they're practically a quarter of the size but luckily I had a 50% off coupon for one item so it cost me about $2.50. I was disappointed that I had to get it at first but I actually like the shape of it. I think it takes less yarn to wrap.

I started off by wrapping it in my favorite yarn (white with the silver thread running through it).


Here it is completely covered. I didn't worry about covering it 100% because I planned on going over it with another color.


I took this amazing black/gray/silver yarn I had lying around from a couple years ago when I made some scarves for Christmas in it and started off by making little Xs all the way around it. That looked too uniform (and a little like spiderwebs so maybe this idea could double for a Halloween wreath?) so I just went around and around until I liked the way it looked. I didn't cover all the white but I made the pretty yarn prominent enough. Note: this yarn is quite wooly so it catches and snags easier than most. It took me a couple hours to do it because the hole was small but I just sat watching TV while I worked. It also left my fingers cramping terribly but it was worth it.


I then took these wooden snowflakes that I picked up from Michaels for $.29 each. Great deal, huh? I got three. I probably should have stocked up on more!


Having learned from the last time I did this, I painted them white first. Then I covered them with snow-tex. I then sprinkled them with some silver glitter, which I appear to have forgotten to take a picture of.


I also bought these glitter letters from Michaels. The glitter was coming off a bit so I coated them in mod-podge to seal. I went with PEACE but you can go for anything! They were $.99 each.


Positioned on the wreath...


I added my snowflakes and some crystal twigs I'd bought back in November because they were so gorgeous but I didn't know where to use them. I'm glad I saved them! They look just like icicles!


I'm so happy because I had a vision for this wreath and it came out exactly the way I wanted it to! FINALLY! I really hope the person it's for likes it because if not, she can give it back to me! I think I'll have to make one for myself :) I seriously love this mildly unconventional Christmas/winter wreath!!


I'm linking this up to Lolly Jane Boutique. Check out this post to see where else I'm linking up.

I Heart Crafty Things

3 comments:

  1. I like it.

    Follow you via Mingle With Us.

    http://www.sjb-myphotopage.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute. I'm stopping by from the hop and following by gfc and twitter. I'd love if you'd stop by my blog too. Have a great day.

    Lisa

    http://frugalmommieof2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh, so pretty! I like that you can use it all winter long! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.