Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Nightstand Makeover

I redid these nightstands concurrently with my side tables. They were my grandparent's matching nightstands. They were a little dirty and worn with age but all they needed was a little paint job to spruce them up!

Here is the before:


Here is a close up of the tops. It seems like someone had a little fun with antiquing them with stain (but it didn't work out too successfully). You'll also notice that someone added a little gold lining around the edge of the drawers.


Here is a close up of the hardware. I cleaned them with a degreaser before spraying them. Even though the nightstands are matching, I find it interesting to see how different they wore down in color.


Here is what I used to refinish them:

-Primer: Kilz
-Color: Duron Quench Blue in semi-gloss (2 coats)
-Polyurethane: Minwax in Clear Gloss (2 coats)
-Hardware: Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze

I gave them a good sand (especially the top) and wiped them down with Lysol wipes. Then I gave them each a coat of Kilz primer and two coats of semi-gloss paint called Quench Blue which is the same color as my bedroom at home. I sprayed the hardware with the amazing Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint that I've seen everyone using and gave the entire nightstand two coats of Minwax polyurethane. Here is the result.



 Here is a close up of the hardware. I love the oil rubbed bronze look!

 

Here is one of the nightstands sitting in my new bedroom. I got these cute mercury glass candlestick holder lamps from World Market for $25 each and picked up a cheap, white shade from Target for about $10. I was going to make my own mercury glass lamp but I didn't have anything on hand that would work and I figured once I found a glass lamp base that I wanted and got the spray paint, it was worth it to buy these.


Here is a reminder of the before and after.


I love them! The blue is awesome and I think they look great!

9 comments:

  1. They turned out awesome!! I love the blue color!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the transformation! Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out wonderfully! Your new place must be looking pretty spiffy by now!

    ~Emily
    A Tossed Salad Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming along slowly! I'm finally hanging some last minute things this weekend so I hope to have updated pictures soon!!

      Delete
  4. They look really pretty! I love blue and am a huge fan of a good furniture transformation! Great job:)
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a couple of pieces that need your magically makeover touch! Thank you for sharing this on Fluster's Creative Muster Party!

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I have two nightstands that need a makeover so bad! I just can't get up the nerve to see if I can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute and love the color you chose. Perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.