Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Caramelized Salmon Skewers

This recipe is originally from Better Homes and Gardens magazine. Technically it's for an appetizer but I've made it for my family a few times and we just have it for dinner. I mean, they're so delicious you can't just have one so you might as well make it a meal! They're caramelized salmon skewers.


Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup caramel-flavored ice cream topping
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 1/4 - 1 1/2pound salmon fillet, skinned
  • Lime wedges (optional)
  • Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
  • Wood skewers 
Directions:

1. Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. Try to do it for closer to an hour.


2. Combine caramel, soy sauce, mustard, and lime juice.


3. Cut salmon into pieces (I usually cut the filet in half lengthwise and then each piece into third or quarters depending on the size). Put on skewers. Season with pepper.


4. Arrange skewers on greased grill rack (I've done this a few ways because the caramel sauce always burns. I've put it directly on the grill, on a cookie rack, and on a fish tray made for the grill. The last (pictured) was the best). For a gas grill, preheat grill and then set to medium. For charcoal grill, grill uncovered over medium coals. I've also used the broiler when we wanted this in the winter or it was raining. Brush generously with sauce. Grill 3 minutes.


5. Flip. Brush other side generously with sauce. Grill 3-5 minutes.


I like to flip it another time so both sides are nice and caramelized. Make sure you use all your sauce if you haven't already.


 Don't overcook the salmon but make sure you have some nice browned spots.


The skewers can burn and break so be careful when turning them. That's why we soaked them in water before.

Enjoy the deliciousness.

  

This recipe was kindly featured at:

Blissful and Domestic

9 comments:

  1. Hmm, I thought I commented, but in case I didn't! I've pinned the recipe. It looks delicious!

    ~Emily
    A Tossed Salad Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything that begins with caramel-flavored ice cream topping has my attention! :) They look delicious. Thanks for linking up to Give Me the Goods!

    Rachel @ Maison de Pax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy! I never would have thought to use caramel sauce when grilling salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, you are invited to share this with Show Your Stuff:

    http://www.treasuresmadefromyarn.com/2013/07/show-your-stuff.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were featured on Blissful and Domestic's Recipe Page. Check it out! http://www.blissfulanddomesticrecipes.com/2013/07/10-delicious-meals.html

    -Danielle @ Blissful and Domestic

    ReplyDelete
  6. hummmm.... Never would of thought of this... I invite my friend to pin this with me.... HOW ABOUT THIS FOR Christmas Party this year!!! Pinterest will rule again. THANKS for sharing recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How long do you usually broil them for? Same time? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, about the same time. Just make sure they're the nice caramelized orange and it flakes with a fork. Depending on the thickness of your pieces, it might be longer. I think I usually cook mine for maybe 15 minutes when I'm grilling them (5 minutes on each side and them a few flips back and forth until I'm satisfied with the color) and I'm always scared of it being raw. I always cut one open to be safe.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.