Monday, July 15, 2013

Mod Melts Wine Charms

In June, I shared with you my Mod Podge Mod Melts specimen art. I had lots of materials left over from that project when I was trying out all the shapes. After the owl, my favorite shape in the nature mold was the large butterfly. I was having some friends over for a wine night so I decided to make some wine charms.


Materials Needed:
-Mod Melts Nature Mold
-Mod Melts Milk Glass
-paint of your choice
-Mod Podge
-crystal beads
-jump rings
-wire cutters
-needle nosed plyers
-Floral wire (22 gauge)
-paintbrush, x-acto knife, cutting mat, needle, hot glue gun

As a reminder, here is what some of the molds looked like right when I took them out of the mold. They were a little messy.


I just needed to trim them with my x-acto knife.


In the end I decided to use four large butterflies and two owls to go with my six wine glasses. I painted each one a different color and sealed them with Mod Podge (I used both sparkle and matte). Then I took a needle and hammered it lightly until it broke through the mold.


Here you can see all of my soon to be charms with their holes.


Then I slid a jump ring through the hole.


To create the ring of the charm, I found a item that was the size I wanted. It happened to be a mini spray pump that I got from my apartment complex. I wrapped the floral wire around it.


Then I used one end to create a loop and on the other I used my plyers to bend it up like an L. This is my hook and latch for the charms so you can take them on and off the wine glass.


I strung some crystal beads I had and the mold onto the wire. Then I trimmed the wire and used my plyers to press everything together.


 Here is a better view of how they open/close.


 Here are all the butterfly wine charms.


Time to open a bottle of wine! Here are the owl ones.


Here is a close up of each of the charms.


I'm very glad that I got to try these out. I wonder if I'll come up with anything else...

11 comments:

  1. They look awesome. I love those owls! They are my favorite! :)

    ~Emily
    A Tossed Salad Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool idea!! I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! Thanks so much for sharing - love the colors your chose! -Deanna@Plaid

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable! Such a great idea! Thanks for linking up to Give Me the Goods! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I am the only one in the world that hasn't worked with these melts yet. I need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do! :) They should be available in Michaels stores now!

      Delete
  6. Dianna, these wine charms are adorable! Lo-ove them. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday at Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Es genial!!!
    Yo quiero!!!
    Me pondré a ello
    Besinos

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.