Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Desk Makeover

My apartment comes with a craft nook. Okay, so it's not exactly labeled that on the floor plan but it's a nook and I plan on doing my crafting there. I was planning on trying to maybe make a desk of some sort. I had a craft desk that I had been using but it was my dad's school desk growing up and he was very attached to it. I didn't think he'd let me take it, nevertheless change it in anyway. But he finally caved. Here's what it looked like before:


That doesn't look too bad, right? Well, that's probably because my Cameo and laptop are positioned perfectly so you can't see the bad parts on the top.


It came complete with water stains, crust, gouges, and part of the top had peeled off. My dad, kindly, came to the rescue. Since I was so busy with other things, he sanded it for me and glued the legs back together since they had come apart a bit.


He used some wood putty to fill in some of the gouges. It was okay to use, he said, even though it was for our wood floors, since I was going to paint it (it wouldn't have worked if I had wanted to stain it). Here is a close up of the fixed top.


Here is the original hardware before painting. It's the rounder of the two (the pointier ones go with another piece I'll be sharing later). These handles weren't going to come apart so I stuck a toothpick in the side so they could get coated all around.


Here is what I used:

-Primer: Kilz
-Color: Sherwin Williams Spirited Green in semi-gloss (2 coats)
-Polyurethane: Minwax in Clear Gloss (2 coats)
-Hardware: Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze

My dad just about died when I told him I wanted to paint it green. It went something like...

Me: "I'm going to paint the desk green."
Dad: "Green? GREEN? Really?!"
Me: "Like a mint green. It's so in right now. Green is your favorite color."
Dad: "Can't you just restain it or something? This was the desk I grew up with! I did my homework there."
Me: "I KNOW. But really, Dad? Have you SEEN the desk?"

Yeah. Well, guess what. It's my desk now! I can paint it whatever I want. And I chose this beautiful, delicious, soft minty green.


I am so in love with this desk. Really, the pictures do not do the color justice. It is awesome. And best of all...Dad approves.


With a piece like this, you definitely need to do a polyurethane-type protective coating (I kind of sound like I know what I'm talking about!). I'm going to be doing all sorts of painting and crafting here so I wanted to protect the surface.


Here is a close up of the hardware. The color isn't really right in this picture. It's much more like the yumminess in the picture above.


Here's a reminder of the before and after:


I love it! I'm wondering what else I can paint with this beautiful green!

This post was kindly featured at:

17 comments:

  1. I lo-ove the mint green. What was your dad's final opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out great!! Love the color!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - you'll have to come see it in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it! What a huge difference!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty colour... it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did an excellent job on your desk. Found you via Rain on a tin roof. I'm your newest follower. You can find me decorating, painting and baking on HickoryTrail

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an awesome job! Love, love, love the green! And my dad is the same way about staining furniture! haha! Its an old school thing! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 5 Blogs! http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/05/give-me-goods-link-party-7.html
    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome transformation! Love the green color! Thanks for sharing at Give Me the Goods Monday link party! We hope you party with us again next week!

    http://www.marriedfiling-jointly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks adorable! There are few things I love as much as a great furniture makeover... great job!!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a beautiful color. Looks like a sturdy little desk too... i bet you will enjoy it for many many years, my friend! Happy mothers day!!..… :)

    hugs xx
    Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awe, super cute. I love the makeover. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this is an old post but I just had to comment:) I just got a lovely armoire for my little girl that I want to paint mint green. I've never painted a piece of furniture as nice, big, and relatively pricey as this one, so I really want to do it justice and have been researching for days to make sure I get just the right paint. I just loved the Spirited Green when I found it today and did a quick google search to see if anyone had used it on a similar project. That led me to you and I'm now fully convinced that this is the color for me! Love your little desk:) Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on yours! I love the color!! The only thing I would change is finding another way to protect it besides the polyurethane since it's yellowed :(

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.