Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lemon Parsley Chicken and Potatoes

Here is a delicious recipe I wanted to share from the January 2012 issue of Martha Stuart Living. It's for lemon parsley roasted chicken and potatoes. While both were really good, for me and my family, the potatoes were the best. They were so flavorful and disappeared instantly! This recipe is actually pretty easy with little to do.

 

You will need...(notes in italics are my own)

FOR THE CHICKEN AND POTATOES
-1 whole chicken (recipe says about 3 1/2 pounds but I just used a Perdue oven stuffer roaster that was about 6 1/2 pounds)
-1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
-Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
-1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
-1 lemon, halved
-1 pound fingerling potatoes, halved or cut into thirds if large

FOR THE SAUCE
-2 cloves garlic, minced (I think I used 3 or 4 tiny ones)
-1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
-1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
-1 lemon, zested (2 teaspoons) and juiced (1 1/2 tablespoons)
-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
-1/2 teaspooon coarse salt
-Pinch of red pepper flakes

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place chicken, breast side up, on a baking sheet (to me, baking sheet = cookie sheet. I used a small roasting/baking pan). Rub with 2 tablespoons oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Place parsley and 1 lemon half in cavity (remove innards of course). Tie legs together with kitchen twine.
2. Toss potatoes and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Drizzle with juice from remaining lemon half. Season with salt and pepper. Scatter potatoes along chicken.
3. Roast for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 degrees F; cook for 25 minutes. Rotate pan, toss potatoes, and cook until potatoes and chicken are golden brown and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken's thigh reaches 165 degrees F, about 25 minutes more (our larger chicken took closer to two hours to cook. I waited until the button popped but I removed the potatoes after this time had elapsed and set aside in a bowl and covered with foil). Let chicken and potatoes stand for 10 minutes (a few minutes before this was done I popped the potatoes on a baking sheet and put them back in the oven to reheat).
4. Meanwhile, make the sauce: combine the ingredients. After the chicken and potatoes have rested for 10 minutes, brush sauce on chicken and drizzle on potatoes.

The only thing I would do differently next time is make sure I chopped the parsley smaller. I'm really bad at chopping things like parsley and cilantro because I give up and still have big flakes.

I'm sharing this recipe at...
While He Was Napping 
Sew Can Do






Bubbly Nature


monogram



Happy Go Lucky

4 comments:

  1. MMm that sounds so yummy! Lemon has got to be my favorite thing to pair with chicken. That and garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm... this sounds so good! Thanks for linking it up!!! I think I might have to try those potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YYYYUUUUUMMMMM!! Cant wait to give this a try, thanks for sharing! Saying Hi From Craft-O-Maniac Mondays. Please stop by and say hi at Cards and Things By Alex http://schnookle.blogspot.com :-)
    Cheers Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, doesn't that sound yummy! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.