Monday, July 7, 2014

Welcome To Our Fire Pit Sign and Tray

Last weekend, I had a craft night with my friend, Kelleigh. Kelleigh had seen an awesome sign on Etsy that she wanted to try and recreate. I thought the sign was so cute and I wanted to make one of my own as well. I knew my Silhouette Cameo would be a big help!

We knew we wanted to make this weeks ago but it took a really long time for us to find the perfect background. Initially I had wanted maybe a 10x14 slate sign and Kelleigh wanted like 12x24 but we couldn't find the slate. They only sold 12x12 singles in the hardware stores and we couldn't get it cut down. Online they had boxes of the sizes we wanted but there was no way we were buying an entire box of slate tiles.

I finally found this chalkboard sign online at Hobby Lobby for $5.99. I had a coupon and with shipping I paid $9.76. Not too bad!

Kelleigh finally gave up looking for the perfect slate. She ended up going a different route and found a tray at Michaels that she spray painted white. I can't remember how much she said it cost. Maybe $12?

I cut out my stencil using the Silhouette Cameo and once Kelleigh came over, I let her play around with it to cut hers just like she wanted. Here is my stencil cut out on adhesive vinyl.


It says: Welcome to our fire pit where friends and marshmallows get toasted at the same time! I lost the triangle for the inside of the A on toasted so I cut out my own triangle. I also lost the inside of one of the squigglies beside the fire so I just took them off.


Kelleigh's sign says Welcome to our firepit where family and marshmallows get toasted at the same time! She just changed friends to family and made firepit one word. While grammatically it's two, she thought one word looked better visually. I have to agree with her. Sadly, the Silhouette cut off her T on get so I re-cut it at the bottom and then she cut it out and moved it on top of the old get. It was a perfect fix!

We used sponge spouncers to apply the paint very lightly so it wouldn't bleed. Kelleigh stenciled her entire sign in black and then used dark brown for the logs of the fire and a yellow-orange-red ombre for the flames. I think her tray came out great!


I used white paint for mine and dark brown with light gold on top for the logs. I also used the light gold for the swirls. I did a red-orange ombre for the flames.


I think they came out great! We both did two layers of our paint coats one right after the other. Due to the bumpy nature of the slate, I did have a little bleed through but I'm still super happy with my sign and I know Kelleigh is really happy with hers!


After they dried, I sprayed them with a UV protector spray.


I gave my sign to my dad for his father's day present (he just got it a few weeks late). I gave it to him the 4th of July and he really liked it! The sign made him laugh which is what I wanted. Kelleigh gave the tray to her step-mom for her birthday and she said she loved it. Success!


Kelleigh's was fun enough to use props with. The tutorial for the wine charms can be found here!


DECEMBER 2015 UPDATE: I'm so glad so many of you enjoy this product. If you are interested in the Silhouette Studio cutting file (this is the only format it is available in), I am willing to share for free for personal use. Please send me an email. If you cannot send me an email, please leave me a way to contact you.

My sign still looks great although the twine string finally broke off. But the paint has held up great! My parents do bring it inside during winter.

13 comments:

  1. Love this project, they both turned out GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's adorable, I love it you have me dreaming of summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be so strange seeing summer things when it's winter there! I hope it helps you stay warm :) Does it even get that cold in Australia?

      Delete
  3. These are both such cute projects! Love the saying :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't take credit for the saying :)

      Delete
  4. What a super cute & handy project!
    I need this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a pattern file for either of these that you'd be willing to share? I'd love to make one for my sister for Christmas.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! I would be happy to email it to you. Please send me an email to my gmail account (craftaspellblog) and I'll send it to you!

      Delete
  6. I would also like a file. Just got my cameo. I don't have outlook and don't see your email.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, feel free to email me at craftaspellblog@gmail.com so I can send it to you.

      Delete
  7. Love this sign. Can I please have the file. I just got Cameo and I would love to make this. My email is navia1948@gmail.com Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.