Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Taffy Apple Salad

I have been loving on this recipe for close to fifteen years. My mom and I got the recipe from my babysitter and I haven't had a babysitter since I went into 6th grade. This is a type of ambrosia salad made with pineapples, apples, marshmallows, and peanuts in a cool whip base. It is affectionately known as taffy apple salad.


I love recipes that have step by step pictures of the dish as it evolves (so I can know if I did anything wrong). I only had my cell phone while making the "salad" so I apologize for the low-quality pictures. Please note that the pictures below are double the recipe. This recipe makes a good sized serving (15-20) but when I made this, I was going to a party with about 50 people.

INGREDIENTS:
-1 TBS flour
-1 egg (well beaten)
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 1/2 TBS white vinegar
-20 ounce can of pineapple tidbits (I can't find these anymore so I buy a can of pineapple rings or chunks and cut it smaller)
-1 container of cool whip
-2 cups mini marshmallows
-2 cups diced red apples (I'd buy 3 or so apples to be safe)
-1 1/2 cups of Spanish (Redskin) peanuts

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a small saucepan, mix flour, white vinegar, egg, sugar, and the juice from the can of pineapple until thick. Cool thoroughly or overnight.


2. Combine pineapples, apples, marshmallows, and cool whip.

       

 3. Combine with pineapple-sugar mixture that has been thoroughly cooled (I always cool mine over night).


4. Just before serving, add the peanuts so they don't get too soggy.


Enjoy!


Man, I wish I still had some! This is the perfect desserty side dish for your summer parties! This recipe is one of my favorites. Be careful not to eat the whole thing and be sure to always lick your plate clean!

3 comments:

  1. I love taffy apple salad! This looks delicious! Would you mind to link this up to my blog hop? I think our readers would love this recipe! Thanks!!
    http://carriethishome.com/2013/06/frugal-crafty-home-blog-hop-27/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! My children are going to love this salad. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday at Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not crazy with the peanuts so I use walnuts or pecans. Taste better too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.