Monday, June 10, 2013

DIY Herringbone Canvas Art

My current obsession is herringbone. I am so in love with it. After seeing some amazing pins on Pinterest, I decided to give it a try to create some unique canvas art myself. My canvas was inspired by this, this, and this.



Materials Needed:
-Darice Artists Canvas 12x16 inch two pack (I got mine here)
-painter's tape
-scissors
-paint brushes
-various paints of your choice

My colors used:
-Americana Pistachio Mint
-Craft Smart Vanilla
-Americana Indian Turquoise
-Americana Ultra Blue Deep
-Americana Bluegrass Green
-Martha Stewart Metallic in Sterling and Pewter

I started off with the two canvases side by side. My intention was to have them continue as one large canvas when side by side but work separately as well. I just started playing with colors. I'd put a blue blob here and smear it around, then green or white, etc until I liked the way it looked. Here is a picture of it in progress.


Here is how it looked when I was finished playing around. It had a nice abstract ocean vibe.


I always knew I wanted a silver on top. I decided to smear some silver on the canvas first. I decided on the Martha Stewart Metallic line color of Pewter.


But it just felt way too dark. So I switched to Sterling to cover it up.


Then I began cutting my painter's tape to make the herringbone pattern. I used a ruler so that the pieces would be pretty equivalent in size. I made my strips 4 inches long.


I cut a whole bunch for a stock pile. Then ended up repeating this amount twice to cover both canvases.


I tried to be all fancy by laying the tape out like so. I used a string to align the edges and tried to keep them all a pencil width apart.


It ended up working a little bit but I guess some of the tape was just slightly off and they started to get really close to over lapping. I decided to pull all of the tape off and start over.

 

I just put down my first piece and then eyeballed it from there.


I ended up pulling a few pieces off and readjusting as I went. The great thing about my painter's tape was that it didn't loose it's stickiness. Finally I wound up with this.


I covered the entire canvas (I also did the sides in case someone got a side view) in three or four coats of Sterling paint.


Then I just peeled them off. I needed to use tweezers to get some of the edges up. I'm thrilled with how it came out!

 

 

Here is a close up of the pattern. Putting the silver in the background really helped when I had some slight bleed through. They're not very noticeable.


I have them hanging in my dining section. The colors go great with my pops of teal.


This post was kindly featured at:

17 comments:

  1. These turned out great! Very nicely done! :)

    ~Emily
    A Tossed Salad Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really cool. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Those look awesome!Beautiful pop of color :) I will have to give this a try for sure!

    I wanted to invite you to join our Meet & Greet Blog Hop! It runs Tuesday nights till the end of Saturday, come link up if you have some time :)

    http://createdbylaurie.blogspot.com/2013/06/meet-greet-blog-hop-29.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it Laurie! If you give it a go, let me know. I'd love to see what you create!

      Delete
  4. Great job!! They turned out great!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is dedication. :) It looks really cool. I even like the before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That seems to be pretty cool and I would try this one but hope to change the color combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it could work in any color combo!

      Delete
  7. Great idea!I like so much your canvas!!!
    http://freestilcreatingbyvilly.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  8. These canvases look AMAZING! You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great art piece you made! Thank you so much for sharing at Give Me The Goods Monday!
    Jamie @ Better With Age

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so enamored of your swirly art canvas. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday at Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this, Dianna!! You are so good with stuff like this! I wish I was! Maybe I just need to start doing it and stop doubting myself! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.