Thursday, September 6, 2012

Garlic and Pepper Encrusted Steaks with Red Wine Reduction

Wow, doesn't that just sound fancy? Garlic and Pepper Encrusted Steaks with a Red Wine Reduction. Well, I'm not sure if it's a red wine reduction but I'm calling it that because you're reducing it...so it's gotta be what that means. They say it all the time on those cooking shows.

I'm not sure how I stumbled across this recipe from Cooking Light, but I'm sure glad I did! OMG, so yummy!


INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 teaspoons black peppercorns (hmmm I think I accidentally did 2 tablespoons...whoops...it was spicy/zesty but still really good!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, trimmed (1 inch thick)
  • Cooking spray (I didn't have any and cooked my steaks in 1 TBS olive oil)
  • 1/4 cup red wine (the recipe calls for port wine but I wasn't about to buy some just for this)*
  • 1/4 cup canned beef broth*
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (I left this out because it seemed like it was pretty much just a garnish and I didn't want to buy a whole bunch of thyme just for this - it would have just been wasteful)
 *I would recommend doubling the red wine and beef broth as there really wasn't a lot of sauce (I made the recipe for three without changing anything except the number of steaks and there was barely enough)

1. Place peppercorns in a small zip-top plastic bag; seal. Crush peppercorns using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet (this is kind of hard to do - I used a wooden spoon which was probably my fault but they kind of break through the bag so be careful in case you make a hole). Combine peppercorns, salt, and garlic in a bowl; rub evenly over steaks.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add steaks to pan. Reduce heat; cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness (for me, it was 4 minutes on each side and then another minute or two extra because they were still pretty rare. My steaks might have been a little bit thicker than an inch). Remove steaks from pan. Cover and keep warm.

3. Add red wine and broth to pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Cook until reduced to 1/4 cup or about 3 minutes (unless you double the recipe for the sauce). Place 1 steak on each of 4 plates; drizzle each serving with 1 tablespoon sauce. Sprinkle each serving with 3/4 teaspoon thyme.

Enjoy!!

I'm linking up at these great parties!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm going to have to make it this weekend! Thanks for the new recipe and for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy! Thanks for linking up at The Little Giggler! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.