Thursday, October 25, 2012

Bleeding Candle {Glitter Edition}

I made this project about a month ago but didn't share it because I wasn't happy about it at first. I had seen a bleeding candle somewhere - either on a blog or Pinterest and I didn't save it because I didn't think I wanted to do it. Remember - I don't really like Halloween, especially the gore-y aspect of it. So - sorry original poster that provided me with inspiration! But it stuck on me and I decided to try it. I'm now seeing them everywhere so I guess it was a good idea!

I took this white candle (it's fake!) and this red candle (that one is real).


On a side note, I just wanted to share the "dumb blonde" moment I had. Wax paper can catch on fire. YES I'm not THAT dumb - hello, it's wax paper but I really didn't think it was going to be an issue because it's covered in WAX. I set it down on my counter for the dripping wax. As I melted the red candle over it and a lot of it had melted, the burning wick fell down in hot, sometimes fiery pieces. Thus, the wax paper caught a little on fire. Just a little. I then transferred to a baking sheet. It was really hard to get the dripped wax off of that! Should I have used tin foil?

Despite my mishaps, here is what it looked like.


I thought it was cool but just not cool enough (maybe the candle wasn't completely red wax - I can't remember). I sat on it for a while. I thought about leaving it or making a change. I considered painting the wax drippings red. But then I settled on glitter. Because, as you're all aware, glitter makes everything better!


I used Mod Podge over the drippings and then sprinkled the glitter on it. Once it was dry, I went back with a small dry paintbrush and brushed off the excess glitter. I wasn't able to get all of it off. The wax was very porous and liked to hold onto it. See, even wax likes glitter.

I added it to my decorations by our front door (including the Halloween wreath that looks blue but is really purple). Here it is flickering. The fake candle comes with an awesome timer so I don't have to reach inside the vase to turn it on.


Here it is again with the lights on.


I am very pleased now! Best of all, I had all the supplies on hand so it didn't cost a thing!


2013 update:



I'm sharing here!

5 comments:

  1. I just posted a bloody candle project on my blog yesterday! Clearly, we are crafting sisters. :) Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had seen yours and it reminded me I needed to post mine! I loved yours - the wax came out a lot redder than mine did.

      Delete
  2. Very cool idea!
    Thank you so much for partying with us @ Keep Calm & Link Up this week! Have a nice weekend!! xo, Meredith @ http://www.waittilyourfathergetshome.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am your newest follower and was hoping that you would stop by and follow me back!!

    www.enjoyingtheepiphany.co

    Thanks,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. So spooky and clever!
    I would LOVE for you to link this up at my Ginger Jamboree Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.