Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Baker's Twine Wrapped Lamp

When I moved into my new apartment, one of the things I needed was lots of lamps. My apartment is one of those places where there is hardly any overhead lighting. As a girl who grew up with an electrician for a father...let me just say how much I hate this! Perhaps I'm spoiled with my recessed lighting and even ceiling fan lights (I miss my ceiling fan!). But this place has one light in the kitchen, a light by the laundry, and a light in the hall and two "spotlight" lights (Dad would be ashamed of me for not knowing their professional term - update: it's called track lighting), and mirror lighting in the bathroom (besides the bathroom all of this is centered in the 20x20 square foot front of the apartment). That's it. It really stinks sometimes. The lighting can be so poor.

I had to resort to scavenging unused table and floor lamps from our house. A lot of them have problems including stains on the shade. The one in my new bedroom needed help so I decided to wrap it in Baker's twine!


I started off with this little beauty lamp. It's not bad. Kind of boring.


The problem was it had this sticky stuff on it that I couldn't get off. Probably from the tag. Don't you hate when that happens?


My solution? I wrapped it in some yellow Baker's twine that I got from Pick Your Plum last month. I just hot glued the end at the bottom and wrapped it going up. Once I got to the top, I secured it with some hot glue again and wrapped it again down to the bottom to help cover up any mishaps that I mishaped. 


 Here is a close up of the twine. I love the pattern it created on its own.


It gives my bedroom a nice pop of yellow when most of the colors in it are blue. I'm going to have to figure out some ways to put more yellow in there, I think!


Here is the base. I considered wrapping the twine to cover all of the steel but decided against it.


One sticky lamp down, one stained lamp shade to go!

5 comments:

  1. You should paint the botom white. Then put ruffles on the shade lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no ruffles!! but I like your white bottom idea. You and LoLo need to come over sometime soon!!

      Delete
  2. Love the idea, it's lovely in its simplicity. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea Dianna! Thanks for coming by and sharing @ Fluster Creative Muster Party!

    Robin @ Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.