Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Mosaic Picture Frames

My mom loves sea glass, hands down. For the last few years for Christmas I've looked for something with sea glass. It tends to be pretty jewelry I find online but this year I decided to make something on my own.

I started off with these simple wooden picture frames I found at Michaels. I think they were $5-$6 each. Michaels always has some type of coupon for around 30-50% off one item so if you stagger your purchases, you can get them for cheap!


I purchased sea glass on ebay and positioned the glass in the design I wanted. The price of this really varies. I was surprised to find how expensive sea glass can shoot up to in the auctions! Especially since people can find it on the beach for free...I made two and probably spent $20-$30 on all my sea glass but I did make a total of three projects - these two frames plus something else I'll be sharing at the end of the week. Here is the design for the blue one after I pushed it off the frame.


I then spread mosaic tile glue around the frame in sections and placed my tile down. I think the instructions said I only needed to wait 20-30 minutes for the glue to dry before adding the grout but it had been raining so I waited a few days.


 Here are both frames grouted!


And here they are wiped clean with a sponge.



My mom really loved them and I added personal pictures to them. She said they were her favorite present! I kind of applaud myself for making them because we really don't have a lot of personal pictures around the house and now we have two framed family shots.


I used the sea green glass frame for a picture from our family trip to Hawaii in 2009 and the blue for our family trip to Alaska in 2010.

2 comments:

  1. This is so pretty!!! thanks so much for sharing with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This totally fits your mom's style. And it goes well with all your traveling photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.