Saturday, May 5, 2012

Corn Pie

Here's a recipe I found a few years ago in Yankee magazine. It's called Verrill's Corn and Tomato Tart but we refer to it affectionately as corn pie. It's really easy to make and super delicious! I know this picture doesn't look the best but trust me - it gets eaten really fast!



Verrill’s Corn-and-Tomato Tart

Ingredients:
·         ½ cup chopped onion
·         1 garlic clove, chopped
·         Baked pie crust
·         3 TBS olive oil
·         Kosher/sea salt
·         Ground black pepper
·         5 ears of corn, kernels cut off
·         ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese (white sharp)
·         ½ pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
·         3 scallions, chopped
·         2 large eggs
·         ½ cup milk
·         ½ cup heavy cream




Directions:
1.       In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic until onions are translucent (3-5 minutes). Add corn kernels and cook about 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2.       Put half the corn mixture into the baked pie crust. Layer grated cheese evenly on top. Add remaining corn mixture. Scatter cherry tomatoes and scallions on top.
3.       In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and cream. Pour egg mixture over tart.
4.       Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes until tart is golden brown.

Because of my hatred for/allergy of onions, I leave out the onions and scallions. In the past, I've always used fresh corn but this time it was out of season and I used frozen instead. I think it was a mistake but the mouths I fed with it really enjoyed it still. But I won't doing that again.

I served it with this amazing brown sugar and balsamic glazed pork loin from C+C Marriage Factory. It was delicious! The sauce was amazing!


Click here to see where I'm sharing this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.