Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Holiday Brie en Croute

I found this recipe a couple of years ago (from allrecipes.com) and have been making it for our family Christmas every year ever since. It's yummy, easy, and did I mention yummy? You really can't go wrong with a baked brie. It's called holiday brie en croute and basically, it's brie wrapped inside a puff pasty with a jam filling. Here is the recipe I use:

INGREDIENTS:
-half a package of Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets (there are two per pack)
-1/2 cup apricot preserves (or raspberry jam)
-13.2 ounce round Brie cheese
-1/3 cup dried cranberries, softened
-1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
-1 egg
-1 TBS water

DIRECTIONS:

1. Thaw pastry to room temperature.

2. Soften cranberries by putting in warm water for a few minutes. Beat egg with 1 TBS water. Once cranberries are softened, drain and pat dry.

3. Unfold pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 14 inch square. Cut off corners to make a circle. Spread preserves to within one inch of pastry edge. Sprinkle with cranberries and almonds. Top with brie.


Our store doesn't sell a big brie anymore - I think this one was 8 ounces so I didn't roll out the puff pastry this time - I just unfolded it and then trimmed it into a circle.


4. Brush edge of circle with egg mixture. Fold two opposite sides over cheese. Trim the remaining two sides to two inches from edge of cheese. Fold remaining sides over the cheese and press edges to seal.


5. Place seam side down on a foil lined baking sheets (Note: preserve will most likely bubble out and burn on sheet). If you like, decorate the top with pastry scraps (cut with cookie cutters). Brush top with egg mixture.


Those were supposed to be little acorns...


6. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for one hour. Serve with crackers.


I'm linking up here!

8 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy, I love anything with brie cheese. I am a new follower and have nominated you for the Leibster Award you can check it out here:
    Leibster Award
    I'm also hosting a linky party on Wednesdays and would love for you to link up this project.
    Fluster’s Creative Muster Party

    Hugs and Smiles,

    Robin
    @Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baked Brie, but I didn't have a recipe for it. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love brie but have never made this! It looks so wonderful! I had no idea it would be so easy to make something so fabulous! Thanks for sharing this recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so yummy - I hope you get a chance to try it!

      Delete
  4. Oh my, this looks so delicious. I think this would be a winner at our family appetizer contest - I will definitely have to try this out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster. I'm looking forward to seeing what you link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! This looks amazing--I'm going to try it soon, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this looks so yummy! I am going to have to give this a try. Thanks so much for linking up this week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.