Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Photo Light Box

With my new DSLR, I knew I had to create something that would help me get better pictures. I had saved this photo light box tutorial from Amie at Kitty Cats and Airplanes a few months ago. With my new camera in hand, I knew it was the perfect time to finally make it.

I won't go through the step by step as Amie does a great job explaining what you need to do. Still, I took some pictures of my process.

First of all, Amie was absolutely right. NEVER leave your box unattended. A kitty will invade it as soon as you're out of sight!


I was initially going to use the Amazon box above but then opted for this taller one that my Silhouette Cameo came in. Unfortunately, I realized that while I gained height, I sacrificed width. This may be a problem later.


Second possible problem. I kind of forgot you couldn't spray paint in the cold. They recommend you don't do it under 45 degrees F. Well, it was definitely in the 30s, maybe even the 20s. I had to get really close to the box for it to stick and that mean runs. It didn't come out that great.


But I still kept going with it! I realized Michaels didn't sell fabric and it was too far for me to go to Jo Ann's so I checked out AC Moore. They sold little swatches of fabric. I think it was like 18 inches x 45 inches or something similar. I bought four just to be safe. I only used one and a half of course. Here it is all set up. I need to get better lights. These are just bedside table lamps. The ones on the sides are very small, low wattage bulbs.

 

I tested it out on some Christmas decorations I had nearby. It definitely works! I'm curious to see how it will work when I get better lighting on it. Hopefully I didn't mess myself up by getting too narrow of a box!



Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.