Monday, February 11, 2013

Cheesy Bacon and Potato Soup

It's been pretty chilly lately. We've finally been getting some snow - it's been coming in Friday night and snowing all day Saturday but it's usually all gone by Sunday. It's kind of nice although I'm a bit jealous of the Nemo blizzard up north I have to admit.

What's better on a cold winter day than some warm soup? This cheesy bacon and potato soup is nice and hearty too.



INGREDIENTS:
-4 cups peeled and cubed potatoes (I used 10 gold potatoes which was a little more than four cups but I didn't just want to leave a few potatoes sitting)
-1/2 cup chopped celery (about 1 stalk)
-2 cups chicken broth
-1 teaspoon dried parsley
-pinch of salt
-pepper to taste
-2 teaspoons of flour
-1 1/2 cups of milk
-1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese (I used cheddar jack)
-1 package of bacon (I used thick sliced because it was on sale)

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large stock pot, add potatoes, celery, chicken broth, and parsley flakes. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until vegetables become tender (about 30 minutes).


2. In a separate bowl, mix flour and milk. Once it is well blended, add to soup mixture and cook until soup becomes thick (about 20 minutes). Meanwhile, cook bacon (I got mine nice and crispy).


3. Stir in cheese, cooked bacon (which I chopped into little pieces), and simmer until cheese is melted.


Enjoy! I sprinkled some more cheese and bacon on top.


I served ours with a slice of toasted sourdough baguette.


I'm linking up here!

Follow me on...


This post was kindly featured at:


14 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! And so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! This sounds so Yummy!! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you think it would turn out using store bought hash browns? I'm too lazy to peel potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha they might work! I don't know how long you'd have to adjust the cooking time though.

      Delete
  4. Tasty!!! I make one like this, but didn't used Chicken broth. That would add a nice flavor! Visiting from Homemade Ginger.

    Lindsey @ GrowingKidsMinistry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was looking for inspiration, I saw a potato soup recipe that used a bullion cube and water but I didn't have any so I used broth instead!

      Delete
  5. Yum! That looks so good! I think I may have to make it this week. :) Thanks for the idea!

    New follower stopping by from Flusters Creative Muster! Can't wait to read more!

    -Sarah-
    http://dirtonourface.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This look so amazing... I can't wait to give it a try. I love the baked potato soup at Logan's and Outback.

    http://www.chickyscafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that looks yum! Pinned it so I can try when winter eventually gets here.
    Thanks, Krystal - http://krydasu.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good! I am a potato soup lover so I definitely giving this a try!
    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMM, Good:-), Well I know what I am making later, looks so tasty! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I make something similar but have never added celery. I may try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.