Monday, May 13, 2013

Dresser Makeover

One piece of furniture that I knew I needed for my new apartment was a dresser. I have a decent sized closet but it won't hold much more than the clothes I want to hang up. I don't exactly plan on putting my t-shirts and jeans on hangers. We've got lots of dressers in our house so it was just a matter of choosing which one I wanted. I chose a taller dresser versus a wider one so it would take up a little less floor space. I decided on this one:


You'll notice one leg is a full orb, the other a half. Not sure what happened there. Let's call it character.

Do you follow those furniture refinishing blogs and wonder how they can forget to take a before picture? I was always like psh. How can you forget?? It's so important! And then I did it. I brought my dresser downstairs and had to run some errands. My dad was super nice since I was stressed for time and offered to sand it for me (he even glued the bottom back together since it was falling apart a bit) and I realized when I got home that I forgot to take a before picture. Shame on me! I'm sorry furniture refinishing bloggers for judging you in the past. Never again.

I managed to find a picture of the dresser before it was sanded from when I redid my bedroom last year. It's a really nice quality dresser but when my mom was younger, she and her sister decided to "antique" it. They made some interesting choices.


As you can see, the bones were still great. It had amazing, wonderful little details. It just needed a little TLC. Here it is lying outside, mid-sanding and gluing when I panicked and realized I hadn't taken the picture.


The top especially needed some love. It had some weird, thick circular mark on it.


Here is what I did to it:

-Primer: Kilz
-Color: Glidden White on White (2 coats)
-Hardware: Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze

After my dad did a wonderful job sanding it, I primed it with Kilz primer and then put two coats of Glidden White on White on it. Because I'm not planning on using it for anything besides being a dresser, I didn't think it needed the polyurethane to protect it. I'm tying all of my pieces together with the Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze hardware. Here they are before I sprayed them. The dresser handles are the pointy ones (the others are for my desk).


Here is the after. I think it looks amazing - so clean and crisp.



Here it is from another view.


A close up of the lovely oil rubbed bronze hardware.


And here it is with a little decoration.


Did you forget what it looked like before? Don't worry; it's okay. I want to forget it too.


Thank you to these wonderful blogs who featured this post:

11 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! The white does look crisp and fresh and it really shows off the lines of the dresser

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out great! Looks just like new! You have been working hard! I refinished a table for the nursery last year, and it took quite a while. How many pieces have you finished up now?! You're on a roll!

    ~Emily
    A Tossed Salad Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! Let's see, I've done 2 side tables, 2 nightstands, a dresser, and a desk (so 6)! I'm sad that I'm finished for now. I'm still on the lookout for more pieces. Hopefully I'll find exactly what I'm looking for!

      Delete
  4. I love how this turned out!I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and follow me back! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I have recently taken an interest in repurposing and refinishing furniture, so I enjoy seeing the fun things others do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! This turned out so gorgeous!! Great job, dianna!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a wonderful job! I love the way it turned out. Thank you for sharing this on Fluster's Creative Muster Party!

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, this turned out great. It doesn't even look like the same dresser! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.