Monday, May 20, 2013

Painted Pots

I have been loving all the different ways people have been transforming terracotta pots. With Mother's Day last week, I decided to make some for my mom (and me as well!).


First I wanted to share the little card I made for my mom. We've got two themes going on for this. The first is stencils. I used some flower stencils and colored them in with puff paint/glitter glue. Then I hand painted from clouds, stems and leaves, and grass. Here's how it came out. Nice and home made.


I used my Silhouette Cameo sketch pens for the inside of the card. It says "Thanks for helping me grow. Happy Mother's Day!" That leads me into the second theme: growing and flowers. To go with my card, I gave my mom some plants in her painted pots.


I started off with these terracotta pots from  Michaels. I believe the pricing was something like $2.99 each for the larger and $1.99 for the smaller. I sealed them (2 coats) with some Plaid Clay Pot Sealer. It's supposed to help protect the pots from moisture when you water the plants so it won't seep through and hurt your paint.


You had to let each coat sit for 24 hours. I then painted one large and one small each in Bluegrass Green (aka teal) and Pistachio Mint in the Americana brand of acrylic paint.

Here is the teal:


 Here is the mint:


I didn't bother painting all the way inside because you wouldn't see it once I added the soil. I did go down a few inches so you wouldn't see any red.


I had planned on stenciling all four of my pots. I did the green first with some stencils and white acrylic paint.


As much as I tried to prevent it, they smeared. Luckily, I was able to just touch them up with mint paint. The stencils I was planning to use for the teal pots were even more intricate and detailed so I decided not to use stencils. On the small teal pot, I did a paint splatter effect in silver and on the big one, I used painters tape to create an effect that I really ended up liking.

Here are the two larger pots:


Here are the two smaller pots:


After I was done painting, I sprayed the pots with Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating in gloss. I thought it would be a good extra step and help protect the paint from fading in the sun. It also is moisture-resistant.

I decided to keep this for myself. It was mainly because I really liked the plant in it.


I also really liked this plant. If you look closely, they look like little screaming purple mouths with teeth.


I gave these two to my mom.


I'm kind of jealous she got this one. I really like it. I've got an extra plant so I think I'm going to have to go buy another terracotta pot and do something similar.


I love being able to put your personality on these. Which is your favorite?

This post was kindly featured at:

9 comments:

  1. Pretty, pretty. I really like the mint color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them all~ great colors! When I was teaching we made these all the time, but I have never thought about making one for myself and my patio! They are just too cute and easy not to make! Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I think I like the last one the best!
    We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
    Two Girls and a Party
    Live every Wednesday to Sunday. Hosted by:
    Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life
    Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    We hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the painted pots. Great craft for kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I love the teal pots. Thank you for partying with me.

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, now after almost seven months...is their any bubbling or chipping in the paint of terracotta due to moisture or wheather..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dianna, now almost after 7 months is there any chipping or bubbling in the paint of the terracotta due to moisture or weather conditions....i also painted a pot but after some time paint started chipping off..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alka,

      They still look great! They have kept their color and haven't chipped or bubbled. I'm pretty impressed!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.