Monday, December 21, 2015

Glitter Striped Coasters

Like my solid glitter coasters I shared last week, these coasters were also made two years ago. The damage to them wasn't as bad as the ones coated entirely in glitter, but they still needed some minor touching up.


You will need:
-white ceramic tiles (I got a half box of 40 at Home Depot and they were about $.16 each)
-Cork board
-Glitter
-Mod Podge
-Paint brush, scissors
-Tape

Again, I started off with my plain white coaster.


I cut four squares of cork and hot glued them to the back.


I used Scotch tape to create the various lines I wanted. I alternated between horizontal (or vertical depending which direction you're looking) and diagonal.


Then I covered the non-taped tile with Mod Podge and covered them with glitter. Once they were a little bit dry (but not all the way), I carefully pulled off the tape.


After they were dry to the touch, I gave them 4-5 coats of Mod Podge. Unfortunately, the glitter still smeared a bit onto the white tile. I tried to get it off, but gave up. Unfortunately, the red glitter also bled a little bit.


The picture above of the red and green striped coasters and the picture below of the silver and gold striped coasters are how they looked two years ago before the horrific smudging accident. You can see all the leftover glitter on them  I wasn't able to get off at the time.


Once I finally got back to fixing the coasters last year, I took a tool I have for vinyl and used it to scrape off the glitter on the white tile. I got almost all of it off! Here is how they looked last year before they were delivered to family and friends.


So much better!


Again, I didn't get to see how my family reacted to them but hopefully they were a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.