Thursday, December 29, 2011

Imitation Coffee Cake

For a few years on Christmas morning we always had a pecan coffee cake make by Sara Lee. Over the last couple of years, I'd remember to take a peak for it in the frozen section of our grocery store only to find it wasn't there! The horror!!!!! Maybe in some remote corner of the world it's still for sale but not here. So, last year I found a copycat recipe online and proceeded to forget to make it. Until this year!! Look at this nom-ness...


Here is the recipe I found (sorry long lost source. I don't know where you went)

INGREDIENTS:
FOR CAKE
-1 package yellow or lemon cake mix (I used yellow)
-1 package instant vanilla pudding
-3/4 cup vegetable oil
-4 eggs
-1 TBS butter extract (I couldn't find this but got imitation butter which may be the same)
-1 TBS vanilla
-3/4 cup water
FOR TOPPING
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 & 1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 cup chopped pecans
FOR ICING
-1 cup powdered sugar
-1 TBS hot milk
-1/2 tsp butter extract
-1/4 tsp vanilla

Directions
1. Butter a 9x13 baking pan. Beat cake mix, pudding, water, eggs, and oil for 8 minutes at medium speed. Yes, that says 8 minutes. I actually did this because I find things taste better when you follow the directions to a T but who knows if you really need to do this. I stopped noticing a difference in the batter after the first few minutes. Add butter extract and vanilla. Pour half of the mixture into the pan.
2. Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle half of the mixture over the batter. Spread rest of batter over top and then finish with a final layer of the topping mixture. Swirl knife through. I added pecans halves on top. Bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees (for me it was more 35-40 minutes).
3. Mix icing ingredients and drizzle over cake. I popped the icing in the microwave for 5 seconds to get it a bit more melty and more drizzleable and I think I added some extra vanilla (meaning I spilled some in accidentally so I might have been closer to 1/2 tsp).


This cake was so delicious! It wasn't exactly 100% like the Sara Lee Pecan Coffee Cake but it was so close. There were probably about 12 servings to it. I had to remind myself that it pretty much was cake and probably 1,000,000 calories but sometimes that didn't work. I will definitely make it again!

*Notes in italics are my own. TBS = tablespoon, tsp = teaspoon

I've linked this post up to...
Sew Can Do
Bacon Time





monogram


Happy Go Lucky



5 comments:

  1. My children would LOVE this for breakfast!! Thank you for such a great recipe! XOXO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...sounds great! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What size of vanilla pudding?
    Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've looked for this recipe for many, many years so I am thrilled to try it!! Even though it's been 30 or more years, I've never forgotten the excellent taste! Sara Lee Pecan Coffee Cake I still cannot believe they stopped making them either! I am glad to find that I am not the only person that had missed the wonderful taste of an excellent product (that should still be available)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.