Friday, February 3, 2012

Cuban Guacamole

Last week I met up with some friends and we went out for dinner and drinks at a Cuban restaurant and ordered some guacamole. I was really intrigued by it since it was made with pineapple. As I said earlier, I'm kind of allergic to onions so I like making my own dishes that typically have onion in them so I can leave it out. I really enjoyed the guacamole at the restaurant but was weary since I wasn't sure if it had onion in it and I figured it did so I took tiny bites. I decided to make it myself and started with this base recipe. Because I left things out like the onion, pepper, and tomato (I don't mind tomato that much but if I don't have to eat it, I won't - I just don't like the texture), I had to adjust everything else. So here's how I made it.


-2 avocados
-1 1/2 - 2 TSBP cilantro (to taste - I used dried so you might want more for fresh)
-2 minced garlic cloves
-2 TBSP olive oil
-1 tsp salt (maybe slightly more to taste)
-1 1/2 tsp pepper (maybe slightly more/less to taste)
-1 1/2 cup pineapple cut into small chunks (I used canned pineapple rings and used almost the whole can)
-pinch or two of cumin
-juice from half a lime (my own addition)

Mash avocado with a fork, leaving some chunks. Add cilantro, garlic, pineapple, salt, and mix. Add olive oil, pepper, and lime juice and mix. Add anything else for additional flavor. This also seems to be better the longer it sits as it absorbs the flavor better.


My parents said it was really good with a little bit of salsa too (putting it back towards the original recipe pretty much) but I really liked it without. So much that a few days later I made a little individual one with some leftovers just for me :) This could be perfect for game day Sunday! Who are you rooting for? I'm going Patriots. They've always been my favorite team after the Redskins (okay I know they stink but I've lived in Washington territory my whole life so I have to cheer them on even if they don't deserve it). But I'll primarily just be watching the commercials.

By the way, do you like that chip and dip platter? It's from this amazing pottery place called Summer Haze Pottery. My mom and I discovered it at a church bonanza kind of thing in the Northern Neck of Virginia a few years ago. We love her work! My mom now has a few pieces and I've started my own collection. You should check her out! She's got a lot of different pieces in a couple different shades. As of this post, their website isn't coming up but if it works again, it's just www.summerhazepottery.com

Check this post to see where I'm sharing this week. I've also shared this here:

5 comments:

  1. I have got to try this!!! I've never tried guac with pineapples before, but it sounds good!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm - I have everything to make it at home right now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks super yummy. Thanks for linking up.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yummmmmmm! I love me some guac! thanks for linking up at the oldie's party last week. Let me know if you every want to co-host.

    Pinning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.