Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Super Simple Knit E-Reader Cover

We finally have an electronic book reader in our house (aka a Kindle Fire). My mom won it at work for being such a good worker. I still haven't read a book on it (I like a paperback but think it would be great for traveling) but I enjoy playing some Angry Birds (yes, I'm late on that bandwagon. I still don't have a smartphone). Last year I knitted a cover for my mom's smartphone (yes, my mom has a smartphone before I do) to lessen its chances of being scratched and she loved it so much she asked me to make one for her Kindle. I wasn't into craft blogging then so I didn't have a tutorial for the phone cover but you can make this for any size as long as you know how to knit a square/rectangle. When I need a knitting refresher, I use this website.

First you cast on however many stitches you need (I used size 5 needles). This can be tricky because the first cast on row may be longer than it originally looked once you knit out the first row. It took me a couple tries to get it to the right length. Once you do that you just knit rows until the desired length. I periodically measured my knit against the Kindle to make sure it got just the right size.


Once you get it to be the exact size, just cast off.


Choose which side of the knit you want everyone to see (there will be a slight difference). Lay the knit with the side you like facing up and fold it in half so the side you like is pressing together. Then do a simple stitch along the edge (I'm such a novice sewer I don't know what the official name of this stitch is). I just made kind of an O, going over and under the edge of my knit. For this multi-colored knit, I just used black thread.


Here is what it looks like sewed all the way around.


Then turn your cover inside out to hide the thread and voila! A cover for your kindle (or Nook or other e-reader). Super simple, fairly easy (super easy if you know how to knit and do a basic sewing job), and super cheap! It just costs as much as your favorite yarn.


This took me about two weeks to knit but I only worked on it for maybe a half hour or an hour every other day.

Check out this page to see where I'm linking up!

6 comments:

  1. Someday I'll learn to knit...sigh... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bright colors! I never liked knitting enough to keep at it, but you have! Found you at Weekend Wander
    ps~ if you turn off the word verifier thingy, you will get more comments. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually wasn't aware I had it on because it doesn't do it for me - I can't stand them because you can't read what it says!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for making this! I love it!

    -Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are invited to participate in my blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/03/show-your-stuff-13-chocolate-cover.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knitting makes me nervous. I've never done anything before but have been wanting to try! You make it look so easy!! Thanks for sharing at A Couple of Craft Addicts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.