Sunday, October 7, 2012

Project Post: Week 12

Spoiler Alert!

Don't read below if you haven't seen 
Project Runway Season 10, Episode 12!


I can't believe we're already at that point where this was the last group of designers before the finalists get to make their collections for fashion week! All throughout most of the season, I've maintained that I wanted Christopher, Dmitry, and Sonjia to make the top three. I was pretty close with my guess.

This week, the designers had to create an avant-garde look inspired by the colors of the new L'Oreal make up line (sets entitled The Enchanted Queen, The Seductive Temptress, The Wise Mystic and The Artsy Muse). Avant-garde means experimental or innovative. I have always thought of it being ridiculous and over the top - a fashion that no one would actually wear (besides the models on the runway) but that other designers would then take inspiration from to make it wearable. To me, none of the designers really created an avant-garde look. They all looked kind of normal to me...but here's how I would rank them.

1. Christopher


It looks a little big in the front but I liked the feathers on the arms and especially the back. Although, he may have taken his Enchanted Queen make up inspiration a little too literally. It looks like something Regina from Once Upon A Time would wear (I LOVE THAT SHOW). Even though you can't see it, the make up looks really good.

2. Dmitry

 

 What an awesome suit! His inspiration was the Wise Mystic. But it just doesn't read avant-garde.

Really, I could have cared less for any of the looks besides Christopher's and Dmitry's. They were all ugly and I really didn't like any of them. But I suppose this is the rank of those I hated a little less than the others.

3. Fabio


Fabio also had the Enchanted Queen. The reversible jacket was kind of cool but I still wouldn't want to wear it. And that dress...blech!

4. Sonjia


She had the Seductive Temptress. She didn't pick the best fabric by any means and I think that really hurt her.
 
5. Melissa

 

Again, bad fabrics. They just look so heavy. And how is this, by any means, avant-garde?!?

Just looking at these leaves me disappointed again. Seriously. I mean, I was so excited when I heard it was going to be an avant-garde challenge (I also LOVE couture and they haven't done that in a long time). Here is an example of what I think of when I think avant-garde from a past Project Runway challenge. This was from Christian Siriano and Chris March (source).


 Anyways, I suppose you want to hear who made it through...

The designers going to fashion week are...
Christopher
Dmitry
Melissa
Fabio

Aww that meant poor Sonjia was out :( What a shame! I think, given more time, she would have done great! I would still rather see her collection over Melissa or Fabio's (and then I would take Melissa's over Fabio's). Maybe she needs more time to develop her style. Do you think we'll see her on Project Runway: All Stars in a season or two?

As they said on the commercial for next week's episode, no one is safe! Could someone else be out next week too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.