Friday, January 18, 2013

Winter Trees

I've been wanting to make something with those Styrofoam cones you see everything. However, I wanted to do something different. Check out below to see how I made these two trees!


The one on the left is my glitter snow-tex tree. To make something similar, you will need:
-Styrofoam cone
-Snow-tex
-silver glitter
-silver glitter spray paint

I started out with this cone I got (it was FINALLY on sale at Michaels - I've been waiting forever!). I was having a hard time figuring out what to do with its awkward top. Seriously, Styrofoam creators? It's a cone! Cones end in a point. Not like this.


I covered the cone in Snow-tex. Then, I slopped a big glob on top and molded it until it stopped looking awkward. I thought I had taken a picture of it but apparently forgot. Sorry! Then, once it dried, I sprayed it with glitter spray paint. When it was still a little wet from the paint, I added silver glitter, mostly because I forgot it's really hard to see glitter spray paint. It came out with a nice, textured look.


For the yarn wrapped cone, I took my favorite yarn and wrapped it from the bottom up. This one was from Consumer Crafts which I got for really cheap AND it comes with a point. Win!

To make something similar, you will need:
-Styrofoam cone
-yarn
-hot glue


I got about 3/4 of the way up when the yarn wouldn't stay in place so I started hot gluing it. I chose this yarn because it ties in with my snow wreath. I'm trying to tie everything together here.


Stay tuned this next week as I share more things from my late winter decorations!

I'm linking up here!

Don't forget to like Craft A Spell on facebook!

4 comments:

  1. These are really cute. I like the NYE party colors. Can't wait to see what you do next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana!
    This is nancy from the mentorship program. First off, I love your idea and am planning on making a flower wreath like the one you linked up on Tuesday. Also, this is a terrific idea. I'd suggest that you start editing your pictures so they have your blog name on them. I pinned your wreath and just marking your photos is a good way to get traffic from Pinterest.
    Finally, I was wondering if you'd be open to co-hosting my link party on Tuesday. If you are it's actually very simple to do!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great.. stopping in from shine on fridays :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE these!! Such a cute and easy project! I really should start decorating my house with more crafty things:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.