Monday, February 4, 2013

Valentine's Week: Love Letter

Welcome and thank you for stopping by! We're on Day 4 of ~**Valentine's Week**~. Today's theme is...love letters!

Raise your hand if you've seen Sex and the City (the movie). If you haven't, that's okay. I promise, no spoilers. But in the movie, Carrie is reading a book called Love Letters of Great Men. How cute is that? The catch? It didn't exist. After the movie was released, a bunch of people published their own editions. I picked up a copy of Love Letters of Great Men edited by Ursula Doyle.

Valentine's Day is all about expressing your love so I thought it would be a great idea to include a beautifully written love letter in my Valentine's Day display. I searched through the book and found one that Robert Browning wrote to Elizabeth Barrett on their wedding day (their love story in itself is quite romantic). I typed the letter up in Word and printed it on nice linen resume paper. Here is the content of the letter.




12 September 1846


You will only expect a few words. What will those be? When the heart is full it may run over; but the real fullness stays within…Words can never tell you…how perfectly dear you are to me – perfectly dear to my heart and soul. I look back and in every one point, every word and gesture, every letter, every silence – you have been entirely perfect to me – I would not change one word, one look. My hope and aim are to preserve this love, not to fall from it – for which I trust to God, who procured it for me, and doubtless can preserve it. Enough now, my dearest own Ba! You have given me the highest, completest proof of love that ever one human being gave another. I am all gratitude – and all pride…that my life has been so crowned by you.


Robert Browning to Elizabeth Barrett on the morning of their wedding day

Source: Doyle, Ursula. Love Letters of Great Men. New York: St. Martin's, 2008. 106-07. Print.
 
How sweet is that? He loves her so much! It's the perfect Valentine's Day love letter!

I knew I wanted the page to look a little antiqued so I boiled some hot water and dipped a tea bag in it a couple times (you can make it as strong as you like and also use coffee). Before you do this, you can also crumple up the paper and then smooth it out. I set the paper on a cookie sheet and poured the water onto the sheet (pour it on in a corner, not right on top of the paper). Let the paper sit for about 5 minutes. Use a spoon to cover any dry spots.


Pour off any remaining water and bake the paper at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-7 minutes or until the edges start to curl. Monitor it closely. Remove from oven and let sit for 15-20 minutes.

I also needed a frame to put my letter in. I found this old, nasty frame. There was a touch of gold in the color so I decided to go that route.


The problem was, there was no useful back. It was just stapled on so I had to pull it off.



 I painted the frame gold with some Martha Stewart Metallic gold paint.


Then, to create a new back, I hammered thumb tacks over a piece of a cereal box. Creative, right?


Here is the letter!


 I framed it with some quill feathers.

Here is a close up of the letter.



Stay tuned all week for more Valentine's Day ideas!

I'm linking up here! As well as these special themed linky parties:

http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/

This project was kindly featured at:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.