Monday, October 10, 2016

Desk Makeover - Again

Last week, I shared my makeover of my previous furniture make over fail. Now I'm back to share how I fixed the once beautiful green desk.

Of all the three furniture fails, I was most upset about the desk. The mint green was so pretty that I had used it on my corner cabinets. I had no more Spirited Green by Sherwin Williams so I went back to the store. The color was nowhere to be found in their samples but I found pretty much what I thought was an exact match. The problem was, Sherwin Williams only does their most expensive paints in quarts and it was about $25 for a quart on sale. I couldn't spend that much money on a quart (especially considering I was going to get two colors, primer, and polyurethane). So, I headed to Home Depot where I got a quart for about half the price.

Here's what I used:
  • Kilz original oil based primer
  • Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Satin Enamel in Shanghai Jade 
  • Varathane No Odor Interior Water Based Polyurethane Satin Crystal Clear (ordered on Amazon)
I sanded the desk down lightly, did one coat of primer and two coats of Shanghai Jade. I put three coats of polyurethane on the top.

Ta-da!


As a reminder, here is what it looked like all yellowed.


While Shanghai Jade isn't exactly the same as Spirited Green, they're pretty close! Here is what it looked like before the polyurethane had turned yellow.


A pretty good match!
 

Here is what the desk looked like before it was made over the first time.


Here is the desk with my newly reupholstered dining room chairs.


Now, this is a piece of furniture I'm happy to look at again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.