Thursday, October 6, 2016

Nightstand Makeover - Again

I'm back with another series of furniture refinishing posts. If you've been a long time reader of Craft A Spell, you may have seen my original posts: the nightstand makeover, the desk makeover, and the side table makeover. These all happened right before I moved into my first apartment in April 2013. Not long after, I realized I had made a horrible mistake: I used an oil based polyurethane over latex paint that ambered horribly. I blogged about it here.

Well, it's only taken me three years to fix it. When I moved into my new apartment in April this year, my patience with the yellow furniture was wearing thin, especially since with the new layout of my apartment, I could see the desk (before it was in a little nook that had low light where I could ignore it). Over labor day weekend, I bit the bullet and bought the paint after seeing a post from one of my favorite blogs, Domestic Imperfection, about a water based polyurethane she uses that doesn't yellow.

I did everything at the same time inside my little apartment (it was a mess for a few weeks) but we'll start with the nightstand. Here's what I used:
  • Kilz original oil based primer
  • Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Satin Enamel in Mystic Turquoise 
  • Varathane No Odor Interior Water Based Polyurethane Satin Crystal Clear (ordered on Amazon)
Here is what the nightstand looked like before.


I sanded the nightstand lightly to rough up the surface and give the primer something to cling to. I put on one coat of primer and then three coats of the Behr paint (sorry no pictures of the different stages). Then I covered the top with three coats of the polyurethane per the instructions. Here's how it came out.


It's actually darker in person but the color photographs weird. I am very happy with it and the oil rubbed bronze handles still look great! I'm feeling pretty hopeful I won't be writing an angry follow up post in six months because the reviews on Amazon for the polyurethane were great!


As a reminder, here is what they originally looked like before I made them over:


Here is what they had looked like before it yellowed:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.