Saturday, February 2, 2013

Valentine's Week: I Heart Twigs

Welcome to Day 2 of ~**Valentine's Week**~ at Craft A Spell! Today's project is very simple. Hearts on Trees! Okay, hearts on branches.

I have started to realize that my family must really love decorative branches. I found some more in a closet in our spare bedroom. These are different though. They have a red tint to them and they're a little twirly. I knew I wanted to somehow use them in my Valentine's Day decorations. The twigs were already great and I didn't want to change them. I just decided to add a little something for the holiday. I decided on little paper hearts like this.


To make something similar you will need:
-heart punch out (you can also use a cutting machine like a Silhouette or some good old fashioned scissors and a stencil...Michaels had this heart punch out for 50% off plus 15% off!)
-construction paper in a variety of shades (I used pink, red, and white)
-fishing line
-branches
-a vase
-scissors and a needle
-some type of adhesive 

I started off by using my punch to cut out hearts. I did two in each color. I took one heart, stuck it with a needle to make a tiny hole, and ran some fishing line through it and tied it in a triple knot. I then stuck the matching heart onto it with some tack. I then slipped them on the branches.


Here is a picture of the hearts in the vase. I got this beautiful green vase a few years ago at a small art gallery in downtown Frederick, Maryland. I saw it, wanted it, and walked away because I didn't want to spend the money. But then I thought about it all day while we were in town and I went back and bought it. The glass is frosted and carved with flowers. It's been sitting in my bedroom (patiently waiting for me to get my own apartment) and I'm so happy to have it out and that I'm finally getting some good use out of it.


My only wish is that I had more of these branches.


Here is another close up of the hearts.


This project took me, maybe, twenty minutes. The majority of that time was spent tying the fishing line so it wouldn't slip.


Come back tomorrow for Day 3 of ~**Valentine's Week**~!

I'm linking up here!

3 comments:

  1. The twigs are a really interesting shape. Where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got them at Crate & Barrel but it was probably close to seven or so years ago

      Delete
  2. Cute! Thanks for sharing at Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your feedback.